The best thing about having a mobile office is the lack of paper binders and files to weigh you down. With just a phone or tablet, all your work, travel arrangements and communication tools are at your fingertips. Here are some best-in-class solutions to load on your mobile devices or drop into your bag. They’ll keep you charged up, organized and ready to work.
- TripIt.com is a lifesaver if you travel frequently. The free account has plenty of bells and whistles, like the ability to instantly create itineraries from forwarded confirmation emails and share trips with others. If you upgrade to Pro ($49/year), you can get real-time flight alerts and notifications, rebook flights from your phone, Google Glass or tablet, and track loyalty program points. It’s also a killer app for group travel management. Just forward all the travel receipts to TripIt, edit the itineraries and share them with each traveler.
- DarkSkyApp.com for Apple phones ($3.99) is like having a personal weather station in your pocket. It’ll tell you if you need to bring an event indoors, how to pack, if you have time for a jog or how long the rain will last once it starts. Right now, it only works for U.S. and U.K. locations, but they’re working to expand coverage to other countries.
- Expensify.com ($5-$9) takes the pain out of creating expense reports. Photograph receipts as you get them, and they’ll automatically be added to the category you specify. Working on multiple jobs? You can create multiple reports for yourself or others. Create expenses by snapping a picture of the receipt and export receipts as Excel spreadsheets you can track and sync with QuickbooksPro or other accounting systems.
- Lose a receipt? Generate your own with AppStormLLC.com’s mobile app. Just be honest, OK?
- The worst thing about being completely mobile is running out of juice. So, make sure you keep things charged with a MyCharge.com Peak 6000 or similar external battery. If you want to make friends at the airport or coffee shop, travel with a power strip. (Be sure to label it so no one walks away with it.)
- The Grid-It organizing boards from CocoonInnovations.com can help you keep all your wires, dongles, plugs and other electronic attachments neat and untangled while you travel. Available in multiple sizes, each has a zipper pocket on the back for your smaller gadgets.
What are some of your essential travel tools?