For those of you keeping score, AH&LA has accepted the minimum eco-friendly requirements of the TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program as part of its new green guidelines. That means accommodations meeting AH&LA guidelines will also qualify for the TripAdvisor program. To apply, lodging properties can visit green.tripadvisor.com. To view AH&LA’s additional 65 guidelines, including ROI, best practices and resources, visit www.ahla.com/green.
The AH&LA green initiatives are divided into three levels. These are the 14 minimum requirements:
- Monitor your hotel’s electric, gas and water usage.
- Implement a towel reuse program.
- Implement a linen reuse program.
- Train staff in using green practices.
- Provide guests information on green practices.
- Install energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Form an environmental committee to develop a green plan for energy, water and solid waste use.
- Install digital thermostats in guest rooms and throughout the hotel.
- Install 2.5-gallon-per-minute showerheads in all guest room baths and employee shower areas.
- Install 1.6-gallon toilets in all guest rooms.
- Begin a recycling program for hazardous materials found in fluorescent bulbs, batteries and lighting ballasts through licensed service providers.
- Buy Energy Star-labeled appliances and equipment.
- Make sure all office paper products have at least 20 percent recycled content.