Boutique Design New York (BDNY) and HX: The Hotel Experience announced its Gold Key Awards for Excellence in Hospitality Design winners recently, naming Fox Browne Creative of Johannesburg, South Africa, as its Designer of the Year. Fox Browne Creative, along with London’s Michaelis Boyd Associates and Johannesburg’s Nicholas Plewman Architects won the Judges’ So Cool award for the Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge in the Okavango Delta in Botswana.
For a list of finalists, go HERE. Individual award winners for the remaining 17 categories follow:
- Midscale/budget/focused service: EoA Inc. of Coral Gables, Fla., for the Amara Cay Resort in Islamorada, Fla.
- Upscale: CCD/Cheng Chung Design (HK) Ltd. in Hong Kong for the Westin Chongqing Liberation Square in China; and Studio GAIA in New York for the W Bogota in Colombia.
- Luxury: Meyer Davis Studio in New York for 1 Hotel South Beach in Miami Beach.
- Budget/focused service: DesignAgency in Toronto for the Generator London.
- Midscale: +tongtong in Toronto for the Drake Devonshire Inn in Wellington, Ontario.
- Upscale: Roman and Williams in New York and Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture in Chicago for the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel.
- Luxury: Gilles & Boissier in Paris for the Baccarat New York.
- Eco-conscious/socially conscious: Fox Browne Creative of Johannesburg, Michaelis Boyd Associates of London and Nicholas Plewman Architects in Johannesburg for the Sandibe Okavango at Safari Lodge in the Okavango Delta, Botswana.
- New brand or soft brand concept: 1 Hotels in New York.
Best guest room
- Midscale/budget/focused service: +tongtong in Toronto for the Drake Devonshire Inn in Wellington, Ontario.
- Upscale: NICOLEHOLLIS in San Francisco for the Palladian Hotel in Seattle.
- Luxury: HBA/Hirsch Bedner Associates in Singapore for the NUO Hotel Beijing.
- Suite: Wimberly Interiors in New York for the Bentley Suite at the St. Regis Istanbul in Turkey; and Studio GAIA in New York for the Presidential Suite at the W Bogota in Colombia.
- Resort: BAMO in San Francisco for the Four Seasons Resort Dubai at Jumeirah Beach.
- Nightclub/lounge: Studio Munge in Toronto for Prohibition in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Restaurant/casual dining: Stonehill & Taylor Architects in New York for and the NoMad Bar in New York.
- Restaurant fine dining: Gabellini Sheppard Associates in New York for The Rainbow Room.