The IMEX Group’s annual sustainability report shows that the U.S. trade show is getting greener and greener.
The 2013 report, compiled and audited by IMEX sustainability partner, MeetGreen, shows that the U.S. trade show’s overall compliance with APEX/ASTM Environmentally Sustainable Event Standards improved 9 percent. That’s an overall compliance rate of 72 percent for the Las Vegas event, a bit above its goal of 70 percent.
- Significant reductions in energy and water usage.
- A 10 percent improvement in the amount of waste sent to landfills.
- 8,590 pounds of show materials — mostly signage and carpets — donated to Las Vegas charities.
- Plastic carpet covers donated to a Las Vegas co-op for reuse in greenhouses.
- A waste diversion rate of 90.32 percent from host partner Sands Expo.
- An overall waste diversion rate of 79.6 combined with results from host hotels The Venetian | The Palazzo.
- 32 percent of all food met APEX/ASTM standards.
- More than $5,000 donated to the Las Vegas charities Opportunity Village, the Shake Tree, and Clean the World.