In the face of meeting-related deadlines, when you’re brutally honest with yourself, you might recognize that your own business practices, not external factors, are at the root of the time pressures you face. Why not give yourself every opportunity to be at your best?
It’s no secret that everywhere we look, for everyone we know, not just meeting planners, the pace of life has sped up and seems to be getting faster all the time. Yet the most effective professionals control their time. How do they do it? Here are some clues.
Tips for better time management
- Focus on one activity at a time.
- Get rid of clutter. Give yourself a clear workspace.
- Get a full night’s rest before starting a big assignment.
Common ways we waste time
- Dawdling before starting.
- Failing to prioritize.
- Facing too many interruptions.
- Underestimating the amount of time a task will take.
- Not asking for help when we need it.
How to have a happy workday
- Take short breaks throughout the day.
- Brainstorm with colleagues to get an influx of good ideas.
- Complete tasks in order of their importance.
- Work on one item at a time.
- Clear your desk of everything except the project at hand.
Signs that you’re controlling your time
- You successfully plot the time to complete the assignment.
- You enjoy your lunch breaks.
- You stay in reasonable shape.
- You end work at a reasonable time each day.
- You acknowledge your accomplishments.
Where do you land on this list? What would you like to add or subtract? Let’s have a conversation, using the comment section below.