A survey of 1,300 U.S. travelers by TripAdvisor.com shows that nearly two-thirds often or always consider the environment when choosing hotels, transportation and meals. The survey did not distinguish between leisure, business or group travelers. results:
- 62 percent often or always consider the environment when traveling.
- 69 percent plan to make even more eco-friendly choices in the next year.
- 64 percent said hotels could do a better job of letting potential customers know about their eco-friendliness.
- 93 percent do nothing to confirm a hotel’s green claims.
- 84 percent don’t believe that being eco-friendly has an impact on comfort or luxury.
- 88 percent already turn off lights when not in their hotel room.
- 78 percent reuse towels and linens.
- 58 percent recycle.
The survey polled 1,300 U.S. travelers. The big takeaway for those in the hospitality industry: Go green. And when you do, make it known in every way possible — prominently on your own website, via TripAdvisor’s new Green Leaders program and similar services, Energy Star, the U.S. Green Building Council and the United Nations Environment Program.
(PYM readers, if you know if others, please share.)